2 eggs, beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
5 cups gluten-free flour blend
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp nutmeg
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter in a large bowl. Mix well with a wire whisk or fork.
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the wet. Mix by hand with a large spoon. (Do not use an electric mixer).
- Let batter rest about 15 minutes. Turn dough onto a well-floured surface. If dough is sticky, work in more rice flour blend.
- Roll dough 3/8″ thick. Cut with doughnut cutter. (We used a large rimmed cup to cut the doughnuts and the lid to the oil bottle to cut the doughnut holes.)
- Fry in 1 to 3 inches of very hot oil (375 F) until brown on one side. Turn donuts over and brown on second side.
CAKE DOUGHNUTS: Dip warm doughnuts into a bowl of very thin glaze made from 2 cups powdered sugar and 2/3 cup milk.
CHOCOLATE ICED DOUGHNUTS Melt Chocolate Frosting in a microwave safe bowl. Dip top half of unglazed doughnuts in frosting and let cool.
Makes about one dozen doughnuts.