1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup water
5 or 6 baking apples (with sticks)
- In medium saucepan, melt butter or margarine.
- Stir in sugar, syrup, vanilla and water.
- Bring mixture to a boil and keep boiling for about 3 minutes, until a candy thermometer reads 245 F.
- Remove caramel from heat. Put a popsicle stick in the center of each apple. When the mixture has stopped bubbling, swirl each apple in the caramel syrup to coat. Place apples on a well-greased cookie sheet to harden.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours before wrapping with plastic wrap or cellophane.