1/2 stick butter
1 cup diced onion
1/4 cup plain flour
3 cup gluten-free chicken stock
3 cups peeled & diced butternut squash
3 bay leaves
1 can gluten-free cream of chicken or celery soup
1 cup whipping cream
1 lb. small peeled, uncooked shrimp
- Melt butter in heavy large saucepan, over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and cook until transparent, stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and stir 3 minutes. Add stock and bring to a boil, stir constantly.
- Add squash and bay leaves, simmer until squash is very tender about 15 minutes.
- Blend in can of soup and whipping cream. Season to taste and remove bay leaves. Puree soup in blender.
- Before serving, add shrimp and heat on low. Pumpkin can be substituted for squash. Sprinkle with nutmeg.