1/2 cup water
4 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup rice flour
3 Tbsp. potato starch
1 Tbsp. tapioca starch
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
4 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
- Combine water, butter, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a steady boil.
- Combine rice flour, starches, and xanthan gum; add all at once to saucepan. Sir vigorously, without stopping, over medium heat until mixture comes together and takes on a shine. Continue to cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and transfer mixture to a bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl. The mixture should be smooth and shiny. Beat in vanilla.
- Immediately drop dough, a tablespoon at a time, into deep oil or fat heated to 365 degrees. Fry 4 or 5 beignets at a time until puffed and golden on both sides.
- Drain well on paper towels and dust with powdered sugar. Makes about 15.