How To Certify
The GF logo stands for the independent verification of quality, integrity, and purity of products. Products carrying the GF logo represents unmatched reliability and for meeting strict gluten-free standards. GFCO is the leading gluten-free certification program in the world. By working with experts in food certification, GFCO is positioned to serve its clients' needs promptly and efficiently.
Whether you manufacture consumer food items or industrial ingredients, or you are involved in private labeling, food service or any other aspect of food production or distribution, the conferral of Gluten-Free Certification on your brand will raise its profile in the marketplace and help expand your market share.
GFCO focuses on in the certification of products for human consumption. Those products that interact with the human digestive system, through inhalation, absorption, or ingestion may also be considered for certification.
Steps to Certifying Gluten-Free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO)
- Complete the on-line Request for More Information Form and submit it to GFCO.
- Complete the Application for Gluten-Free Certification for all products to be considered for certification.
There is no fee to apply.
- Upon review of the application, a GFCO Inspector will conduct an audit of the facility. During the audit information about the plant operation is gathered and used to determine certification feasibility for the plant and products produced there.
Audit fees and travel expenses are billed and payable prior to the scheduled inspection.
- Upon a successful audit, a contract including the requirements for GF certification is presented to your company. If accepted, a letter of certification is issued for the products certified and information is posted on the www.GFCO.org website.
Annual fee varies based on risk assessment of products and manufacturing facility, size of company and may include other factors as well.
Certification is for products listed on application only.
Certification fees include limited marketing by GFCO.
- Congratulations! You have joined a very prestigious family of companies electing to certify their products gluten-free. This symbol represents products meeting strict quality standards that exceed current standards for gluten-free.
About the Contract
The contract agreement includes the following requirements:
- Periodic gluten testing in the manufacturing facility using GFCO-approved testing methods, to meet the minimum GFCO standard of less than 10 ppm gluten in a finished product. A discount buying program for test kits is available to GFCO certified companies
- Periodic plant inspections by a GFCO contracted auditor
- Random product testing from end-user shelf by GFCO
- Contract is renewed annually unless specified by either party
When You are a Co-Packer: Two Options for Certification
- Manufacturing plant is certified as a GFCO certified facility:
- Any qualified products manufactured in facility may be certified by GFCO. They must appear on certified products list
- Qualified private label products do not have permission to use GFCO logo without signing a Private Label Agreement and paying an administration fee
- New B2B marketing opportunities
- Certification fees responsibility of the manufacturer
- Private label companies wanting to use GFCO logo pay an administration fee.
- Pass on some of certification costs to your customers as a service to those companies whose products are certified
- Specific products manufactured in plant are certified by GFCO:
- Only products listed on certified products list may use the GFCO logo
- Generally this application comes from a private label company whose products are being manufactured in your plant.
- Certification fees generally the responsibility of the Private label company
All information provided in the application, inspection, and certification processes are strictly confidential. Fees are due upon receipt.